Monday, June 20, 2011

"Ferocious"

So, I might have mentioned this before, but I've been vegetarian for 4 years. (Technically I'm pescetarian, but details details). I started in Junior High for animal rights and what not and the habit stuck.

Which was fine when I wasn't running 30 miles a week with cross training mixed in. And I dropped the animal rights thing a while ago (not saying I don't care about animals, but my VIEWS on animal rights have shifted a bit).

But this past year, when I started running and dropped around 20 pounds, things got tricky. My hunger skyrocketed. And I don't mean "I'm a little hungry". I mean "I'm starving" pretty much ALL THE TIME.

Now, we're not ENTIRELY sure as to why that is. It could be too little protein, but there are other symptoms that point to a possible thyroid problem. But the issue has been getting progressively worse and my energy levels are also beginning to suffer.

I tend to stick to my habits (God forbid I ever get into any drugs, because I tend to have an addictive personality). And with these problems starting to spiral out of control, I might have to make a tough call: putting (lean) meats back into my diet.

At this point, it has nothing to do with moral values, but I've been meatless so long that it's become part of who I am. But with this "ferocious" appetite (my hunger has been called this a lot lately), something has to change.

So I had bloodwork done today, and I hope to hear back on that soon. I'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I've known some vegetarians who went back to eating meat during marathon training because of this problem but I also know lots of successful vegetarians who do just fine.

    ReplyDelete